As safe as we think we are in our homes, the looming threat of outside and foreign pollutants has always plagued many households and has been the cause for bad health in general. Good indoor air quality is essential to any home and pollutants can spawn from many different places, whether it be from our pets, our appliances, or just simply opening the door. We’re here to give you 10 key facts about indoor air pollution to keep you knowledgeable about indoor air quality and what kind of threat these pollutants cause.
The Indoor Air Pollution Big 10
- People spend about 90% of their lives indoors
- Sick house syndrome is an anomaly which involves a building having bad indoor air quality to the point where acute health symptoms can become present. This problem can persist enough to where a home can be up to 2-5 times more polluted than our outside air.
- Indoor air quality alone ranks among the top 5 dangerous environmental threats to the public, according to the EPA
- Around 50% of all illnesses are caused by bad indoor air quality
- The prime reason bad indoor air quality is so harmful to us is because of the three main classifications of contamination: particles, gasses, and germs. These are dangerous as allergens and especially people who have asthma
- Simple household products don’t do much in helping out your indoor air quality. Products like perfumes, cleaning sprays, and air fresheners may seem fine, but they also increase the amount of pollution in the air.
- One of the more common allergens, dust mites, can be found in many places in the house including bedding, carpets, and furniture.
- Smoking causes over 4,000 chemicals to fill the air and can be extremely dangerous and lethal, especially indoors. Secondhand smoke has claimed the lives of thousands per year and remains a lingering problem in terms of indoor air quality.
- Some early symptoms that may show up due to bad indoor air quality and the sick house syndrome can include sore eyes, headaches, flu symptoms, and other bad health problems.
- Not regularly changing your air filter can allow tons of air pollutants to enter your home and cause health problems. In fact, just having a newer air filter doesn’t necessarily nullify all the problems you may have. It’s recommended to look into installing advanced air quality products to kill 99% of the pollutants that come in our homes, such as UV light. Have one of our experienced air quality techs come out and assess your home and recommend some products to further improve your family’s health. Call Will’s All Pro at 210-734-8400 to get someone out for you today!
Call the professionals at Will’s All Pro to schedule your indoor air quality inspection today!